It was heartbreaking sharing the news with Heather.

My final chemo treatment was cause for celebration.

I can't let cancer consume me; I try to find the time to just be me.

Heather is bright, smart, and beautiful. She is everything to me.

Even though it is in remission, I still worry about the cancer making its harmful return.

The next week, the week after school had gone out, Heather and I were inseparable. She had also been chosen as a Governor’s Scholar; however she was assigned to a different campus than I was. So, as the days until G.S.P. shortened, we spent as much time together as we could. She even went with me, all the way to TN, to my second treatment. While I was receiving it, I noticed her watching carefully over me. She is my biggest concern. I know that if anything happened to me she would be very hurt. Whether she knew it or not, while all of this was going on with me, I was watching over her.

The next few weeks were hard. Finally, I was starting what I had hoped to all along: I was moving into my dorm at Louisville for the summer. Yet, right from the start I was beginning to have my doubts. On the very first night, my pick line began to leak blood. Right from the start however, the pick line cleared up, I called my doctors and they said that all was well, and I began to press on. After weeks filled with physical and mental activity, teenage drama, and even a scare of Staph Infection I was a Governor’s Scholar Alumnus. I will feel pride in this accomplishment until the day I die. I couldn’t let this distract me for too long, though.

Once I arrived back at St. Jude’s they started with the tests. They were evaluating the cancer’s progress and were trying to determine whether or not it was necessary that I have radiation treatment as well. This was my next fear, but I was prepared for whatever was thrown at me. My doctor had never had a patient that didn’t need radiation therapy. After the tests and my final treatment were over the waiting began again.

Waiting on that information was extremely terrifying and was nearly as hard as waiting on the original diagnosis. Two weeks after I made it home I received a phone call. Dr. Howard was in tears. He told me that my cancer was in remission and I didn’t need radiation therapy. I let him talk to Dad as I absorbed what had just happened. I couldn’t leave anyone out of this momentous event and began to call all of my friends and family. Everyone involved in my life has been so supportive, and they helped me through it all, especially Heather.

As wonderful as all of this was, however, I still am not finished worrying. I check my neck nearly every night for traces that the disease had come back. My one-year check-up is coming up and I have so many things to worry about, especially Heather. We are engaged now, and no matter what happens to me, I have to keep that promise to her that we will be together forever. I couldn’t give up though. I had to pay for my college, I had to beat this cancer, and I had to keep my promise to Heather that we would be together forever. What would you do if you couldn’t keep a promise you made to someone you love?

Heather and I have our whole lives to look forward to.

I have to keep my promise to Heather that we will be together forever.